Back from Slovenia – My Slide Deck

SPDays2011_MySession

I’m back from Bled (Slovenia) where I presented at the local SharePoint Conference (SPDays 2011).

Do you notice the slide title in the picture above? Yes, I’m doing all that I can to disclaim my developer background 🙂

My session was about Performance Optimizations for public, internet-facing web sites based on SharePoint. I talked about quite a wide range of topics, starting from infrastructure considerations and finishing with client-side techniques that you can use to reduce the load on the network and on the browser.

In case you are interested, here you can find my slide deck.

I have to thank Branka and all that stuff. Great job guys! And see you all very soon!

WinDbg .cmdtree

Wait wait, before you leave this page because it contains the “WinDbg” word somewhere in its body 🙂

This is a little gem I have just discovered, and that may be useful for those of you who do not remember the exact syntax of each and every WinDbg instruction (and I’m the first on this list).

You can prepare a text file which contains a list of the commands you use more often. This file should of course adhere to a specific syntax, which is extremely easy BTW. Here’s an example:

windbg ANSI Command Tree 1.0
title {"WinDbg made easy?"}
body
{"Quick Commands"}
{"SOS"}
  {"Load sos"} {".loadby sos mscorwks"}
  {"clrstack"} {"!clrstack"}
  {"Threads"} {"!threads"}
  {"Stack Objects"} {"!dso"}
  {"Exceptions"} {"!dae"}
  {"Heap"} {"!dumpheap"}

Then you just have to save this file somewhere (if you prefer to avoid too much typing, just save it along with the WinDbg executable, which in my case is here: C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64), and call it commands.txt).

Then, fire up your favorite debugger (no, it’s not Visual Studio… come on!!) and within a debugging session just try typing:

.cmdtree commands.txt

You’ll see a wonderful window popping up, which contains the list of commands you have defined in your configuration file.

WinDbgCmdTree

And this is not just for documentation or for reference: you can double click on any of the above commands and have WinDbg run it, just the same as if you had typed it into the command window directly.

Cool, isn’t it?

You can get more information here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/debuggingtoolbox/archive/2008/09/17/special-command-execute-commands-from-a-customized-user-interface-with-cmdtree.aspx

JPGs not showing in browser window

I have to preface that I’m *not* a web designer (should I send you some snapshots of the web pages I have produced, you would definitely agree with me… that’s why I’m not adding pictures to this post :-)).

Therefore the topic of this post may seem obvious to the web designers amongst you.

Anyway, here’s what I have noticed some days ago, in the context of a SharePoint 2010 intranet project where some CQWPs display the most recent items (news, etc..), along with a thumbnail image beside the item body.

Well, the final effect was that some of the images were not displayed at all in the rollup page.

After double-checking the publishing status of each item, I could confirm that each picture item was checked-in and approved, so that it should be visible to all authenticated users.

But while navigating to the assets library that contains the pictures as a site owner, the exact same behavior was visible there: even the XSLT list view web part shows the items, with pictures dispayed as a red cross.

Then, Fiddler comes to the rescue. I fired it up, trying to figure out what was the real network traffic behind the picture download. I got an HTTP 200, and the response mime type was correctly set to image/jpeg.

Ok, then there’s some issue with the image itself. I saved the stream locally, then tried to open the image with any kind of picture viewer tools and… the image displays correctly, no matter of the tool I have used.

This is a confirmation that the image type is not well supported by the browser.

It’s a browser issue, so the next step is to navigate to the image url using different browsers and try to spot the difference… and the difference was now quite evident.

IE8 had issues with that specific image, while neither FF nor Chrome nor IE9 suffered any problem.

Then, I just had to google for “IE8 JPG” to find what I was looking for.

I knew that JPG is too vague, since you can get different encodings and internal representations, ending up with a JPG file extension as well.

But I didn’t know that IE8 dropped support for jpeg images saved as CMYK.

Here you can find some information about this issue, and even a web page where you can test how your browser behaves with CMYK JPEGs:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001283.htm

Browser are sometimes always strange 🙂