I’m following several migration projects during the last months, especially from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010, and of course I’m trying to stay within the standard approach as much as I can.
By “standard” I mean (roughly):
- Premigration check
- Deploy code customizations
- Apply farm and webapp configurations
- Perform a content database attach
This can be smooth or can be painful, especially during the last phase.
But… well, things can start to go wrong early, and unfortnuately not only during the premigration check.
For example, more than often we found a ton of wsps deployed, then ask our customer to provide us the wsp (the package, not necessarily the source code) and this fails with a sad “I don’t know where they are”. Or, which may be even worse, we get a different version of the package, which may or may not work as ecpected.
That’s why I wrote these 5 lines of PowerShell code that let us download the exact wsp package that is deployed.
This script is supposed to run on a SharePoint 2007 farm (that’s why I cannot leverage the commandlets included in the SharePoint 2010 PowerShell SnapIn).
Here it is:
$farm = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm]::Local
$solution = $farm.Solutions[“nameofthewsp.wsp”]
$file = $solution.SolutionFile
With some extra work, you could make this script iterate over all installed solution packages and, maybe, save them as a single zip file for convenience.